Getting a pet is a big step! It’s easy to get carried away with a new puppy or kitten. Thus, it’s important to pet-proof your new home and fully prepare yourself for these changes. A pet, in general, requires a lot of care and attention. This is especially important within the first few weeks of adjusting to its new home. From buying all the necessary items and accessories to ensuring that each space within the house is safe for your new pet, it would be a good idea to make a list of things to complete before bringing them in. Throughout the rest of the text, we’ll share a few tips about ensuring your home is safe and enjoyable for the new pet.
Pet-Proof Your New Home
How and where do you start when it comes to preparing your home for your new pet? Whether you are getting a kitten or a puppy, it’s essential and beneficial to both you and the pet that you pet-proof your new home. This way you can create a safe space for everyone in the house and can focus on teaching your pet and training them overall. Here are a few things to keep in mind before getting a pet:
- Ensure to hide electrical cords, or place them on something higher where your pet can’t reach.
- If you have stairs within your home, block them with a gate. Puppies and kittens love to explore and play around. Therefore, being able to see them at all times will be easier for you as well.
- Make sure that you place human food out of reach just in case.
- Keep your cleaning supplies within reach! Training your pets to go to the bathroom outside might take some time. Hence, having supplies around will come in handy if your pet has an oops inside the house.
- If you have a backyard, make sure it is safe to let your pet explore.
New Family Member
Getting a pet is such an exciting moment! Although it is easy to get carried away with your puppy’s cuteness, it’s also important to ensure that your house is prepared for their arrival. Since puppies are prone to biting in the early stages of their life, you can also train them with the help of a sour spray for dogs. Spraying the solution on table edges and furniture pieces will revert them from biting your belongings, hence how you pet-proof your new home.
If you are getting a kitten, ensure to buy all the necessary accessories. Moreover, your furry friend deserves the best care, and ensuring that they get that is a characteristic of a good owner. If you are relocating, prepare your cat’s space ahead of time so that they feel comfortable to explore. Set up their food and water dish, along with their bed and litter box. In case they are reluctant to come out, use some treats!
Your Pet and You
All in all, whether you are getting a new pet or relocating with your existing one, ensure to have a plan. You know your pet at the end of the day. So, simply ensure that they are comfortable in their new space. Pets rely on habits and regular schedules. Therefore, if you ensure that everything stays as what they are accustomed to, you will have no problem when you pet-proof your new home.