Moving to another state is a big adventure. It’s exciting, but at the same time, it can be very overwhelming. Relocating locally is hard, but moving cross country is much more difficult. It is a serious challenge that will require the help of the professional long distance movers.
Why do you need to hire a professional moving company?
There are a lot of moving tips that can make you think that you can do it on your own. In theory, you can. In the practice, that will require an enormous effort, precise organization, massive amount of time and money.
Regarding long distance relocation, hiring long distance movers is a necessity.
That is the only way that your moving will pass smoothly and without a hitch. Of course, depending on the fact that you’ve hired the best rated long distance movers that you can trust.
You will need to do your research and find the best companies on the market. Read their moving reviews and check their licenses information. You’ll have to get an idea how much the long distance moving will costs you, in order to incorporate that costs into your moving budget. There is a lot of things to consider, but when you find the perfect long distance movers, the hardest and most complicated part of your move will be taken care of.
Top rated long distance movers are the best choice
Every relocation from your current home to your new home that has a distance of more than 100 miles is considered a long distance moving.
Moving across the country is much more complicated and challenging than moving locally.
Experience in long distance moving is crucial in this process. Something that you unlikely have unless you are a professional mover. That’s why you shouldn’t even consider relocating to another state or country on your own.
It shouldn’t be your DIY project and you should let professionals long distance movers handle it.
Reliable long distance movers that have experience will make your relocation less stressful and much easier. They will know how to avoid damaging your stuff and transport them safely, how to deal with unforeseen circumstances and how to avoid accidents. They will also save you a lot of time and money.
How hiring long distance movers cost?
To determine how much will cost to hire long distance movers, you have to know which relocation factors affect the final bill:
- The weight of the shipment – How much your belongings weight will effect immensely. The heavier the shipment is, the more money you will have to spend. It’s needless to say that fewer things that you are moving, the better will be for your budget. When you are relocating, try to get rid of unwanted items and bring only the stuff that you actually need or the ones you can’t replace. You don’t have to throw away your stuff. Organizing a garage sale is a great way to get rid of the belongings that you are leaving behind while you earn some extra cash.
- Moving distance – Contrary to the weight of the shipment, relocation distance is something that you can’t control. It is what it is, and you can’t change it. It’s the only constant value that directly influences the relocation price. However, some moving companies are charging less for the distance and more for the shipment weight. If you can decrease significantly the number of belongings that you are moving, then target those companies.
- Additional services – All long distance movers have additional services in their offer. Packing, unpacking, disassembling and reassembling of the furniture, storing your belongings, handling extra heavy or very fragile items are some of them. The additional services cost extra. Be sure to discuss their rates with your movers.
Costs of long distance relocation vary from case to case
Every relocation is different. Each one has its specifics that are affecting the price. Maybe your neighbor has moved to the exact location that your new home will be. However, that doesn’t mean that the price of yours relocations will be the same. Even if you take the exact same services from the same long distance movers. The total cost will depend on many factors. They maybe seem very similar, but in the end, every moving process is a case for itself.
The reliable moving company will do an in-house estimate and based on all factors make an estimation of the total moving cost. There are a lot of variables to consider, so the cost of long distance relocation is calculated on a case-by-case basis. Ask for accurate price estimates that will truly correspond to your unique set of relocation circumstances. If you are, for example, moving from NY on the budget all the way to Florida, you should know exactly how much hiring long distance movers will cost. Even then, you should count some of the unexpected expenses into your moving budget. Just in case.
How to find the best long distance movers
Once you single out the best long distance movers, it’s time to choose one of them. They all may as affordable movers and reputable enough to secure your moving job, but there can be only one.
Take these things into consideration:
- Read the reviews – Check out the reviews of the long distance movers that you are considering. Read all of the comments on their website or social media, negative or positive experiences of their users, compare their ratings. Reliable companies know how much good reputation is important, and they do their best to maintain it through quality and professional services.
- Check their legal status – Make sure that the long distance movers in question are properly insured and licensed. If they are, they should possess unique US DOT numbers. You can check that at the U.S. Department of Transportation official website. Also, look if the company is the member of the American Moving and Storage Association. If it is, that is a sign that is reliable and reputable.
- Transparency of the company – Movers that are trustworthy will gladly share information about their business. They will provide you with the full name of the company, exact address and other contact information, license numbers reference that you can check. If the company is shady about their business, it is suspicious. That can be a red flag that can indicate that you can fall into the trap of the moving scam.
What to ask your long distance movers
In order to choose the best movers to conduct your long distance relocation, you should ask the right questions. Make a survey, and see how are you satisfied with the answers of the movers. That way you will get a clear view of their professionalism, attitude, and responsiveness.
These are the questions that you should ask long distance movers that you’re considering to hire:
How many years have you been in the relocation business?
The time that company has in the moving business is very important. Their ability to stay competitive and maintain a quality of service means that you can trust the company to conduct your relocation with ease. More experience also means that movers are more prepared for any unforeseen events and accidents. They probably have seen it all and they will know how properly to ack if something goes wrong.
What does your insurance policy cover?
Long distance moving is a massive task, and there are many things that can go wrong. In case that something does, you need to be sure that your belongings are insured of damages. That is why you should speak with your long distance movers about the insurance options you have. That will give you the clear picture of what to expect and do you maybe need to take additional insurance.
How do you handle disputes or damage claims?
Even when having the best long distance movers by your side, accidents can happen. That is why you need to know how the company addresses claims and disputes. Their policy of resolving complaints or claims filed against them will help you determine are they the right movers for you.
What do you do to protect property damage?
You can learn a lot about the level of professionalism of the movers based on their answer to this question. If they have a shady and incomplete answer, there is a chance that they don’t pay much attention to protecting property from damage. Transparent and honest answer with a lot of details is the indicator that you’ve found the company that you can trust.
Do you offer any discounts?
If you don’t ask this question, there’s a chance that you will miss out on a good deal. You won’t know unless you ask. Inquire if you are eligible for a price reduction in some way and does the company offer some discounts.
Additional things that you should consider:
Don’t hire a company that only takes cash
If long distance movers only accept cash, that is a big red flag that you shouldn’t ignore. Especially if they are asking for a big deposit. They can take your stuff hostage until you don’t pay them more money than you’ve agreed to. That is a popular moving scam and you should stay away from the moving companies that only take cash.
Check your belongings when they’ve been unloaded
When your belongings arrive at your relocation destination, you will sign the paperwork about their arrival. That paperwork is a confirmation that all your things are delivered. If you notice that anything is missing or damaged, do not sign it. Once your belongings are unloaded, conduct a home inventory and count the boxes. If you sign the paperwork and later establish that some of your stuff is missing, it will be hard to submit a claim.
Careful with what you are signing
Everything that you discuss with the movers should be written down in the agreement. Do not sign any incomplete document. Read everything thoroughly and pay attention to the fine print. Ask questions when you need clarification. If there is a list of additional fees, ask the mover to explain what each means and how they apply to your move. Once you put your signature, the deed is done. That’s why you have to double check that the document that you are signing has all the features that you require. Pay special attention to the inventory list. If you forget to put some item and it disappears during the relocation, you won’t be able to make a claim.
Make a claim as soon as possible
Maybe you want to take some time to unpack your things. Since moving is overwhelming, it is understandable. But it’s not the best tactic. The sooner you unpack, the sooner you will see in what condition you things are. If your items are damaged during the relocation, you should make a claim to your long distance movers as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the bigger is the chance that your claim will be denied.
Bring items of high value with you
All the items of high value should be moving with you personally, and not in the moving boxes. Passports, jewelry, laptop, accounting records and other important items should be with you at all times. Make a list of such items so you won’t pack or forget them.