Basements have captured the imagination of many filmmakers and children for a long time as a place filled with danger that is located just under our noses. Many adults are still afraid of basements. However, basements deserve some love. They are very useful rooms, and without them, life in houses wouldn’t imaginable. But, maybe there is some truth in all those horror movies. Maybe basements are the place in which all that is evil dwell? Sure there no monsters in your basement (probably?), but there might be some health hazards. So, let’s explore some of the health hazards lurking in your basement.
The vicious mold
The dampness of basements is a perfect property for mold to form. Mold likes wet and damp places, and basements are usually the place where there is a lot of humidity, making them perfect for mold to grow and thrive. But why mold can be dangerous?
Mold can be dangerous for people with allergies. Typical symptoms include stuffy nose, excessive sneezing, watery eyes, coughing. All of this is caused by inhaling mold spores that are in the air of the basement.
Gases from the sewer are not only disgusting, they can be quite dangerous too. Sewer gases are several gases that can be deadly if left unchecked, especially if your basement is not vented well. Some of the most important and dangerous sewer gases are methane, ammonia, and hydrogen sulfide. They can also include chemical solvents. They can even be found in apartments, no matter if they don’t have basements. It’s the same for both houses or apartments.
Basements are usually homes to many different kinds of toxic chemicals. From different kinds of paints to many kinds of adhesives, toxic chemicals are usually stored in basements. Once opened, it is almost impossible to close them again. This means that many toxic chemicals that are stored in the basement have a tendency to vaporize and release toxic gases that can be quite dangerous.
Lack of fresh air
Your basement needs to be vented well if you don’t want to have a perfect combination of mold spores, toxic chemicals, sewer gases, and carbon monoxide in it. Basements without good ventilation can be the most dangerous place in a house, making those horror stories come to life. If you want to prepare your home for selling, you need to take care of this problem.
It is possible that you have a fuel-furnace in your basement. They are very useful things. But if you do not maintain them properly, they can be a source of one of the most deadly gasses – carbon monoxide. Why is it so dangerous? Well, carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless. Also, it does not have a color, making it undetectable to our senses. It can seep into a house through cracks like other gasses.
This is why you need to have a carbon monoxide detector in your basement and upstairs.